Summer of (God of) Love

God of LoveDear Friends, Please excuse the pro­longed silences.  They are not con­tem­pla­tive silences, I’m afraid, but rather the arti­fact of being on an intense book birth-line (I finally came up with an alter­na­tive to “dead­line”)!  I am 90% fin­ished with my new man­u­script, GOD OF LOVE: A Guide to the Heart of Judaism, Chris­tian­ity, & Islam.  As you may know, this is my first book entirely in my own voice, as opposed to trans­la­tions and com­men­taries on the teach­ings of the mys­tics.  It’s been scary and exhil­a­rat­ing.  I’m thrilled by what’s been emerg­ing.  The book will be released in April of 2012. I had an insight about the rela­tion­ship between my par­tic­u­lar expe­ri­ence of pro­found loss to my writ­ing in gen­eral.  For a long time I have assumed that I would write a “grief book” – and I still may – but I see now that all the deaths in my life, and my daughter’s espe­cially, inform every­thing I write.  John of the Cross’ teach­ings on the dark night of the soul, and Teresa of Avila’s on the exquis­ite long­ing of the soul for union with the Divine, are inex­tri­ca­bly entwined for me with con­scious grief as a spir­i­tual path.  And so I can­not pos­si­bly write about the uni­fy­ing teach­ings of love at the heart of the Abra­hamic faiths, for instance, with­out deeply draw­ing on my own expe­ri­ence of the rad­i­cal unknow­ing­ness and unbear­able yearn­ing that accom­pa­nies the death of some­one I loved beyond life, and also that quiet sense of cos­mic per­fec­tion that most of us are too shy to talk about but most of us hold in del­i­cate para­dox inside our bro­ken hearts. If my edi­tors agree, I will post rel­e­vant excerpts from the ms over the next few months.  Until then, I will con­tinue writ­ing and refin­ing, and think­ing of you all. If you have not already done so, I invite you to con­sider join­ing us at the beau­ti­ful Omega Insti­tute in upstate New York August 21–26 for our next Beau­ti­ful Wound gath­er­ing.  We will read pow­er­ful poetry & prose (both sacred and pro­fane!), share our sto­ries through con­ver­sa­tion and writ­ing, sit in silence, and sing to the Beloved.  It is an extra­or­di­nary oppor­tu­nity for build­ing com­mu­nity of the heart.  I would love to share it with you, if it feels like a good fit to you or some­one you love.  Details are on my web­site: www.mirabaistarr.com More soon, love always, Mirabai

10 comments

1. Pamela Rosenberg says:

I am so happy for you in this most cre­ative birth, with this new work! My love and sup­port are with you.
    Pamela

2. Bob says:

Thank you, Mirabai. Can’t wait to read your book. This post reminds me of a quote from Kahil Gibran,

The deeper that sor­row carves into your being the more joy you can con­tain. Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter’s oven?”

So I’m think­ing that in a way a book about full cup is at the same time a book about the empty ves­sel that holds it.

• mirabaistarr says:

OK, you won’t have to wait. I’m send­ing you the (unedited) ms right now!

Your quote & reflec­tions on the empty ful­ness remind me once again why I love and admire you so much, Bob.

3. Gaye says:

Ever since I read your intro­duc­tion to your trans­la­tion of Teresa of Avila’s Inte­rior Cas­tle I have wanted to read a book you have writ­ten. This is so excit­ing and you have such courage. I hope it will be avail­able in Africa. I will pray for your process of ges­ta­tion and giv­ing birth to this book.

• Mirabai says:

Thank you for the encour­age­ment, Gaye — it really gives me energy to con­tinue up this beau­ti­ful mountain.

Would you tell me a lit­tle about your life in Africa?

4. tara lupo says:

… that quiet sense of cos­mic per­fec­tion that most of us are too shy to talk about but most of us hold in del­i­cate para­dox inside our bro­ken hearts.”

Gor­geous!

5. Gaye says:

My life in Africa (Zim­babwe to be pre­cise) is like and not like yours. Which thought is no help at all! My funny lit­tle blog tells some of it but again not all. It would take more than hijack­ing space here to tell…

6. wubr2000 says:

Hi Mirabai,

Con­grats on mak­ing so much progress on your new book. I just fin­ished read­ing your Dark Night of the Soul book in Hong Kong. It’s quite an eye-opener and it spoke to me directly. I am not sure where I’m in the jour­ney of sense+soul cleans­ing but now I know I’m not alone and that I will have to watch out because there are so many pit­falls along the way that you men­tioned. Any­way, just want to say thank you for writ­ing that book and keep up the good work!

Regards,